The Northwest part of the San Fernando Valley is sheltered by the majestic Santa Susana Mountains and has a history that can be traced back to the 1700’s. In the earliest of times the Gabrielino Indians used the area because of the natural watering hole that is located at the corner of Reseda and Parthenia St. and was the reason the area was first called Zelzah, the Biblical name for Oasis, a name that remained until 1929.
The area slipped from Spanish to Mexican control as the two governments struggled for rule of the growing and prosperous chunk of land referred to as California. The land was brought and sold several times and was maintained as an agricultural center going from large ranches to smaller chicken and fruit ranches. This remained the focus until after World War II when the housing boom expanded the growth of the small commercial areas that are now known as Chatsworth and Northridge.